Monday, April 5, 2010

BESPOKE COBBLERS - FLORENCE

Some of you have visited these bespoke shoemakers so this is nothing new for you. But what I value is current information. In your bespoke decision, factor in travel costs, shipping and customs (if applicable). These cobblers frequently travel to big cities so you can get measured there and then do a follow-up visit for a fitting. Most of them want a fitting before they go smooth. Immediatley below:

Roberto Ugolini. Bespoke from 950 euros (lasts are included in this price as I am told. Shipping, etc. extra). Use common sense. Of course exotics are more - alligator, croc, etc. Very nice and accomodating. Reasonable deposit. I jut got a good vibe from this guy.Website does not do him justice. Sample bespoke models blew me away. Here he is working below with his Japanese apprentice (the other female apprentice was really pretty). Hey, you know.

Sample Ugolini bespoke:



Mannina is a Florence institution and many of its residents have been buying their shoes at his shop for decades. Like most, two locations - bespoke and TRW. In the retail shop, expect to pay around 295-395 Euros per pair RTW. Sadly, I didn't see anything I liked and I was ready to buy. Besides, the clerk in the retail (the son?) completely ignored us. Mr. Mannina had to step out and the Japanese apprentices couldn't give me a price for bespoke.






We ate at a great restaurant by Stefano Bemer's shop and had the chance to chat with him for awhile. Bespoke at 1800 euros plus 300 for lasts plus incidentals. He really wanted me to place an order right there, but honestly, again, this might seem strange, nothing inspired me and I had the money (for once in my life). This is a big business and I think personally I'm looking for a smaller, artisan-based experience. All of these shops were dead. I'm telling you, people are hurting. PLEASE post your Florence bespoke shoe experiences. I'm going with Ugolini.

No comments:

Post a Comment